Want to Know Where Your Coffee Comes From?
As part of Cardano’s Catalyst Fund 7, a full-featured Coffee Provenance App was built in a record 4 days by just one developer. Before we get into how it was done, let’s see what the DApp is about.
One of the key features of the Coffee Provenance App is the ability to generate a QR code that, once scanned from the coffee packaging, allows you to trace the origin of where the coffee was farmed, processed, roasted, and packaged before being delivered to your neighborhood cafe!
If you are a coffee connoisseur and you care where the coffee you drink comes from, you will be interested in the provenance and integrity of the coffee; that it originates from where it says it is from, throughout the entire supply chain. And won’t it be nice if you could use your phone to scan a QR code while you are at your favorite cafe and get the entire history of your coffee supply chain right at your fingertips?!
Interested? We are certain you would be!
So, How Is It Done?
- Needed a no-code/low-code platform to start building without programming skills, that’s where Joget delivers.
- Needed a secure and energy efficient blockchain to store all the information from the supply chain, tada! Cardano!!
Combined, the two open source platforms came together and we delivered the following:
- All the data on where the coffee was farmed, processed, roasted and packaged are written into the Cardano blockchain through the Joget app, and subsequently, these data are immutable and cannot be manipulated or changed.
- Cardano blockchain technology holds the power to reshape transaction transparency by facilitating transactions in a decentralized and immutable network, lowering its associated costs and risks.
- The app built on Joget allows information to be recorded and collected by the stakeholders throughout the entire supply chain from farmers to distributors to retailers.
- When a QR code is scanned from the packaging, the consumer is taken to a Joget app where all the coffee provenance can be traced. Consumers will be able to see the date and time of when the coffee beans were harvested, processed, roasted, etc.
We understand that some of you might need a more technical how-to explanation, here you go:
- Joget Knowledge Base: Step-by-step Tutorial
- Joget Blog: Cardano and Joget: Building No-Code, Composable Blockchain Apps
Why Did We Do This? Well, It Is Faster And Easier With Joget!!
As part of the Cardano’s Catalyst Fund seed funding initiative designed to boost the adoption and development of technology associated with the Cardano blockchain project, we saw where we could really build a meaningful app that matters and applied to be part of the initiative. Hence, a Coffee Provenance App.
In partnership with Wada, an African blockchain awareness-building organization, and Securities and Commerce Institute, a software and financial services consultancy, the Joget-Cardano no-code/low-code approach to building DApps, named “Accelerating Enterprise Adoption”, was top-voted by the community in the “Nation Building Dapps” category and thereby awarded funding through Cardano’s Catalyst Fund 7.
What started out as an app submitted for a competition is now being repurposed to meet the needs of the cocoa industry, and was subsequently showcased to some of the largest cocoa industry players in Ghana, which incidentally is the world’s second-largest producer of cocoa.
Start building your own enterprise app with Joget DX and watch the in-depth tutorial video to learn how to build a Cardano Blockchain DApp with Joget DX in less than 10 minutes, all the way from generating a Cardano account to writing transactions to the Cardano blockchain. You will be able to choose from a variety of deployment options, including on-premise, containers, and cloud native platforms.
- Joget Demo — Experience the Joget DX platform and witness how a POC can easily be built in no time.
- Joget DX Video Tutorials — Quick overview and build your first app.
- Joget DX Knowledge Base — User and developer reference, samples and other documentation.
- Community Q&A — Ask questions, get answers, and help others.
- Language Translations — Translations for more than 20 languages.
- Joget Mindshare™ Series — Information sharing and educational content ranging from whitepapers, webinars, video tutorials, customer success stories and more.
- Joget Academy — Self-paced online learning and certification.
- Joget Marketplace — Download ready made apps, plugins, templates and more.
- Joget Events — Upcoming and past Joget events & webinars.
- Joget Press — Joget press releases.
- Joget Reviews — Joget reviews and customer testimonials.